Wednesday, January 19, 2011

homemade pizza attempt #2: fail

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and advice on the pizza making! I took them all into consideration and did a little (very little) reading about it.

I didn't get a thermometer, but figured out the right temperature anyway: if you can't hold your hand under the water, it's too hot! Keep making it cooler until you can stand holding your hand under the running water, and it's probably "warm" for dough-making purposes.

My pizza this week ultimately failed, but I did have a few successes: got the right temp for the water, got the dough to rise, then rise again (so cool!). Used an actual recipe for pizza sauce (instead of just dumping a can of tomato sauce on it), and used a different recipe for the dough.

The failures: the crust had the same texture as bread. It wasn't chewy like pizza crust should be. The pizza sauce still was "off"...I need a good recipe!!

My pizza eaters were not as forgiving as last time. One took a TINY mouse bite and then decided she'd rather go hungry for the night than eat any more.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Exquisite-Pizza-Sauce/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Pizza-Sauce-III/Detail.aspx

there are 2 that have good reviews - might want to read some of what people said about them to make any changes....I haven't tried either, so I'm not sure if they are really good or not. :)

Shannon, EJ, Gabe and Hannah said...

What night do ya'll want to come over for pizza!!!

Randy said...

I heard a book review of a person who was trying to make a perfect bread. Tried once a week for a year making various tweaks each time and finally got it right ... then wrote a book about it. Keep going and write a book.
Maybe you aren't spinning it over your head high enough like in the pizza ads.