Thursday, January 13, 2011

homemade pizza attempt #1: fail

You pick your battles. Some things are not worth the fight.

Because it's all about priorities, I've decided pizza is worth fighting for. I've wanted to learn and eventually master making it from scratch for a long time and I'm excited to begin learning. I'm going to keep trying until I get it right. Or until we all get sick of pizza.

Round One was a pretty bad failure. It was my first try making anything with yeast, and I have no idea what I'm doing. When making pizza dough, it matters what temperature water you use so it interacts with the yeast the right way. But, how do you know when water is 130 degrees??? Do people just KNOW this stuff by feel?

I also learned the hard way that pizza sauce is NOT just tomato sauce from a can with a few spices thrown on top.

Thankfully Mark and the girls are forgiving pizza eaters and ate it up anyway.

(This is what pizza crust looks like when it has the density of a muffin:)

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I think you can get a thermometer to check the temp...I know with cinnamon rolls you want it to be very warm, but not hot enough to burn you when you touch it (too hot and it will kill the yeast)...might be different for pizza dough? not sure. I always buy publix's pizza dough...haha. you're brave to attempt your own! :)

marie said...

Brave or foolish, ha!! Yes, I think I need to get a thermometer.

Shannon, EJ, Gabe and Hannah said...

Marie you have got to try Pioneer Womans Pizza Dough!! I stumbled upon it about a year ago and it has become a staple in our house!! We never buy pizza anymore and it is super easy! Ya'll should come over for pizza night soon and I can introduce it to ya! :-)

Danielle said...

I was going to comment and say the same thing as Shannon. Pioneer Womans is super easy and so good! Also if you have left over dough and you are not ready for pizza, I use it for her monkey bread as well.

Richardsons said...

Marie,
I have to agree with the other posters on this one. I struggled with pizza dough for several attempts...eventually deciding that the time and effort involved was not worth it for me, when there were excellent ready-made products. Mark usually gets a whole wheat crust (he can tell you what brand) but it is great!

marie said...

Shannon, I'm going to take you up on that!! :) I will check out PW's dough recipe. Katheryne, I agree about the "not worth it" aspect - but I am hoping to use this skill as a stepping stone to other breads...if I can do pizza dough, I can do bread, right?

zgadzooks said...

Marie - Do you have Trader Joe's there? I make pizza all the time. They have fresh pizza dough (even whole wheat!) But I have a friend that makes his dough all the time and he doesn't use yeast and it's amazing - I'll get his recipe for you!
a few yummy things to try - caramelized onions and garlic, goat cheese, kalamata olives, sundries tomatoes, roasted red peppers, pine nuts, arugula

Randy said...

Marie
I have good luck with various yeast breads. Yes, yeast is very particular about what temp you use to dissolve it. My trick is to let the water run across my wrist until it feels a little hot ... not burning hot. When the temp feels right I put my measuring cup below my wrist and let it fill the amount I need. Good luck and forget about all that store bought stuff. A ratio of more than 25% whole wheat will make your texture course and crumbly (but better for you).