Thursday, October 30, 2008

the business of being born



I really don't watch that many movies, but I've just seen some good ones lately that I feel the need to blog about. A couple of people thought I'd like The Business of Being Born and they were right. It's a documentary so it comes with bias but it is SO fascinating, especially if you've been through a birth or about to be going through one. [Disclaimer for the weak-stomached: you will see births happening and Ricki Lake naked.] Here is the synopsis from the film's website:

"Birth is a miracle, a rite of passage, a natural part of life. But birth is also big business.
Compelled to explore the subject after the delivery of her first child, actress Ricki Lake recruits filmmaker Abby Epstein to question the way American women have babies.
The film interlaces intimate birth stories with surprising historical, political and scientific insights and shocking statistics about the current maternity care system. When director Epstein discovers she is pregnant during the making of the film, the journey becomes even more personal.
Should most births be viewed as a natural life process, or should every delivery be treated as a potentially catastrophic medical emergency?"

3 comments:

Darby said...

Oh Marie... It sounds fabulous! Did you get it on Netflix?

simplifry said...

I loved this movie--although I must admit it scared me a little.

marie said...

Yes, I got it on netflix. And hopefully it can be more inspiring than scary!!