Friday, March 12, 2010

mute button

For the first time in my life, I have laryngitis. I am not just a little hoarse, but have a complete and total loss of my voice! I can't speak above a whisper, and I am now painfully aware of how often I speak to my children throughout the day. I need to use my voice to soothe the baby, distract the toddler, read books, sing songs, discipline, and praise. I am now resorting to overly expressive gestures (hand and face), shushing (when necessary), applauding, and tongue clicking (works to get a baby's attention). It is frustrating and hilarious all at the same time. I am open to any other suggestions!

Thankfully, my girls got to have speaking people around them last week when we visited family in South Carolina.





2 comments:

horizon said...

Mer, your pictures make my girls look so old to me! Hope you get your voice back soon.

alicia winsor said...

Feel better soon! I lost my voice when I was teaching and my kids started whispering too! Kind of nice!