Thursday, March 5, 2009

bean & vegetable enchilada casserole

I am on a quest to find recipes that are healthy, inexpensive, and easy. Usually a recipe is 2 of those but not all 3....healthy and inexpensive but hard, inexpensive and easy but processed and unhealthy, etc. Here is a recipe that fits the bill perfectly:

1 med. bell pepper, chopped
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. oil
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
2 c. frozen corn, thawed (I don't thaw mine, I just throw it in)
1 can (28 oz.) pureed/crushed tomatoes
1 T. chili powder
1/2 t. cumin
dash of hot sauce (I omit)
salt and pepper, to taste
12 corn tortillas (I use four 10-in. whole wheat flour ones)
1 c. grated Jack cheese (I use whatever cheese I have)

1. Preheat 350. In lg. saucepan, heat oil and saute pepper, garlic and onion for 5 mins. Add beans, corn, tomatoes, and seasonings. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins.
2. Assemble in 9x13 dish as follows: 1/3 bean mixture, tortillas to cover (2 10-in. work for me), 1/3 bean mixture, tortillas, 1/3 bean mixture, cheese.
3. Bake 30-40 mins. or until hot and bubbly.

1 comment:

passedwithanA said...

Try this yummy stuff:

1 avocado, ripe of course
some sea salt
TBspn olive oil
Lemon juice as free as you want

Mash it all together, and eat with corn chips...

So tasty! Easy, healthy, and makes your skin glow too :)